Dear St. Paul’s Family,
As you know, on December 18, 2019 this congregation will complete 150 years of ministry in San Diego. Our sesquicentennial year started last month on Dec 16th with a sumptuous reception in the Great Hall entitled “A Victorian San Diego 1869 Christmas”, following a special organ concert and Evensong. The event attracted over 200 guests including many neighbors, and I am grateful to all who made generous donations to make this initial event possible.
First United Methodist Church and the City of San Diego are also celebrating their Sesquicentennial in 2019 and we hope to coordinate some of our mutual celebrations. You may have noticed the display featured in the lobby of the Great Hall that has been provided by the San Diego History Center in Balboa Park, with whom we will also be partnering this year.
Mark your calendar for the following events (all dates subject to change):
- January 26 (Register Here): a guided bus tour to the earliest known church of the English colonists who settled in the San Luis Rey Valley in the early 1850’s. We will be holding a prayer service in the little chapel that is still active, and perhaps we may get to hear the organ which dates from 1890. The bus tour will include lunch and a wine tasting at the Solterra Winery Restaurant in Leucadia.
- February: A focus on the role of the Episcopal Church’s support for civil rights, including a historical photo display.
- March 5: Zydeco Mass with guest preacher Bishop David Rice of the Diocese of San Joaquin.
- March 10: Guest preacher the Rev. Philip Amerson of First United Methodist Church
- May 5: St. George’s Evensong with a very special guest preacher.
- June 15: Consecration of the 5th Bishop of San Diego.
- July 7: Independence Day celebration with guest preacher Bishop Carl Wright, Bishop of the Armed Forces
- July 10: Light the Cathedral for Pride.
- July 14: Pride Sunday, with guest preacher the Rev. Susan Russell.
- September 15: Mexican Independence celebration and focus on our Latino/Hispanic connections.
- October: Liturgical Fashion Show to exhibit our amazing collection of vestments and celebrate some special people.
- November 10: Veterans and Armed Forces Evensong
- December 14: 150th Anniversary Gala, with keynote speaker Bishop John Chane
Additionally: a revised history of St. Paul’s by Robert Heylmun, specially commissioned choral music, exhibits of historical materials, and other arts events throughout the year.
Thank you to our hardworking Sesquicentennial Committee: Susan Jester (chair), Ric Todd, Roxanne Perfect-Knight, Joe Jones, Robert Heylmun, Jerry Motto, Robert Wilkins, Sue McClure, John Will, Brooks Mason, Kathleen Burgess, Martin Nace Hall, and Marshall Moore. If you’d like to help, there’s always room for more, and we need sponsors for a number of events.
Your sister in Christ,