St. Paul's Organ
The Cathedral's organ has the longest history of any in San Diego. It began with a 2-manual instrument built by Hook & Hastings, which was first heard on Easter Day, 1887. Four complete, and several partial stops are still in use from this instrument. In 1915, the organ was enlarged by the Johnston Organ Company.
When St Paul's Parish moved from the original structure (at 8th Ave and C Street) to the present location at 5th Ave & Nutmeg in 1950, M.P. Moller once again enlarged the instrument to approximately 45 ranks with a 3-manual console.
In 1969, a complete rebuild of the organ was completed by Aeolian-Skinner, retaining the best pipework from the previous instruments. This instrument, now with a new 4-manual console, was one of the firm's last installations west of the Mississippi. This instrument, with some modifications made in 1989-1990 contains 78 ranks and over 4,300 pipes served the cathedral through 2011 at which time, on the 125th anniversary of the organ, it underwent a signifigant restoration by Quimby Pipe Organs of Missouri. Click here to read more about restoration project.